Re: [glob2-devel] Vieo size limit

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Vieo size limit
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:58:26 +0100

> Hi,
>
> Wikimedia commons limits the maximum size of any upload (around 30 megs it
> looks like), so my 144 MB ogg is too big. Yet I think we should put it
> somewhere because it is a nice introduction to a full game (13 minutes). So
> either someone really has good bandwidth or we should use bittorrent. Does
> anyone has experience serving torrents ?

I have never set up a tracker.  But I remember having seen the documentation.
There wasn't much you had to care about.

It would be nice though to have a web-interface for the torrent-files,
where you can see which files need seeding.  And using the forum to post
requests.

(For anyone who never have used bittorrent:
 When you want to distribute a file you create a corresponding torrent-file.
 This will be small and does only contain information about the file and the
 tracker that cares about it, but not the file itself.
 This torrent-file you put anywhere on the web.  So someone can use a client
 to download that torrent-file and then connect to the tracker.
 The tracker tells that client what and where it should download and upload.
 Especially you need people to seed (upload) the file, since that tracker
 only has information about the file, but not the file itself.
 Btw:  a client needs one port per torrent-file.)

I think that the tracker needs the original bittorrent.
For seeding we can use small clients like "http://ctorrent.sourceforge.net";