Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial question: abort: push creates new remote bra

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial question: abort: push creates new remote branches!
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 12:03:48 +0200

abort: push creates new remote branches!
(did you forget to merge? use push -f to force)

If I force it works but says it has created a new head:

added 1 changesets with 4 changes to 4 files (+1 heads)

That is correct.  You have to remember that branchnames are just
sticky tags.
Bradley had merged the most recent commit in master into his own
branch.  Thereby the most recent commit in master got a new parent
with a sticky tag "core_rewrite_2007".  It is still the most recent
commit in master, but it no longer is a head in our remote repository,
because it now has a parent.

So now you push your new commit, and the old commit now has two parents.
One of them in "core_rewrite_2007" the other in "master".  It is exactly
what we want, but mercurial does not know that we really  intended this.

I've searched the web but didn't find anything usefull related to this.
Does anyone has an idea of this behavior.

I hope mercurial will improve the sticky tag branch support scheme.
It seems to confuse more than I thought.