Re: [glob2-devel] Net Development Update

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Net Development Update
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 21:46:53 -0400

I'm very quickly approaching a finished YOG system.

Cheating? Well as for in-game cheating, desyncs will detect anything. A player simply can't cheat without putting his cheat on every other system.

Hacking? Well hacking i'm allot more worried about. I've made the unfortanate mistake of doing virtually authenticity checking for host messages. The current problem is, for example, kicking a player. Only the host is allowed. But anyone could send the NetPlayerKicked message to the server, and that player would be kicked. I dealt with this specific instance and a few others but an experienced hacker will most likely find a loop-hole.

I wonder if we can find some white-hat hackers who would gladly rip apart the protocol and tell us all the flaws.

On a different note, I've got some scripts that I've used for development. They allow me to add NetMessage classes easily, taking advantage of the amount of redundance. They are simply intelligent template scripts. Anyhow I don't have them in mercurial yet, and I'm wondering if I should put them there. It would make it vastly easier to add new NetMessages (or YOGEvents) in the future (by anyone), as the scripts take what was 30 minutes and shrink it to about 20 seconds.

These scripts are done in python. If I keep them, where should I put them?

--
Really. I'm not lieing. Bradley Arsenault.