[glob2-devel] Re: new version of mercurial

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: [glob2-devel] Re: new version of mercurial
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 15:54:56 +0200

I have looked for features of the new mercurial version.
Probably the most useful features for us I found in their mail-archive:

 Very recently hg was fixed so that clone would update to the
 latest rev on 'default' instead of the repo-wide tip. For some time
 update and pull -u have also updated to the latest revision of the
 branch currently checked out, so that should help here too. Probably
 hg log/incoming/outgoing could use similar logic to hide other
 branches. Hg has also recently adopted a url#branch syntax so that you
 can clone http://server/repo#stable, then push and pull to that
 branch.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.mercurial.devel/12056

Revisions without branchnames automatically get the branchname: "default".
I suggest that we change our name "master" to "default", because of the new
clone mechanism that updates all files to the latest "default" branch.
(i.e: it will clone the whole archive including all branches but check
out the file
versions from the latest "default" branch.)

Also the new "hg update" will check out the file versions from the
latest branch,
that has the same name as the current repository branchname.
So if "hg branch" tells you, that you are "unitAssignmentByLeo",
"hg update" will check out the latest "unitAssignmentByLeo"-branch-revision.
(Which can even be a downgrade, if your current branchname is not the branchname
of the revision that has been checked out into your directory before.)

The new "hg pull http://hg.globulation2.org#unitAssignmentByLeo"; also looks
more intuitive.

I think the new named branch handling is more intuitive.
As soon as all major distributions have mercurial version 0.9.4 we should update
the server and our documentation.

The windows installer of mercurial does not require admin rights
anymore - I think.
So everyone who couldn't use glob2 development versions for that reason: this
problem is solved.

For some reason I can't use "hg view" anymore, but "hg glog" is for
many tasks as good.