Re: [glob2-devel] Hello all

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Hello all
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:51:52 +0200

> in particular the micromanagement AI. I believe it
> can and should be improved because as the micromanagement is supposed to be
> taken over by AI, the AI that handles that aspect of the game should
> be completely reliable in producing optimal micromanagement, which is
> currently not the case.

I don't think that we currently have a specific AI to handle
micromanagement. Also optimal micromangement will not be
possible.

We don't have an ordinary rts with an AI on top that handles
micromanagement - if that is what you thought.
Globulation 2 is designed bottom up to solve micromanagement.

Currently we have optimal solutions to some subproblems (e.g: shortest
path). The shortest path solutions are heuristically enhanced to
population level by mechanisms that try to prevent collisions. And now
we heuristically try to reduce traffic jams for specific situations.

(Btw.: we still don't have an efficient three point pathfinding solution.)

Also we have heuristics to handle unit to "job" matching.
Where job can mean: suppling, training, eating, getting cured,
fighting, observing or clearing.

I guess the "micromanagement" code is scattered and disconnected.
Of course this could change ...
There are also unimplemented features (e.g. soughing or
transportation) that might require new micromanagement algorithms.

I also would like to have warriors move in group formation to their
targets taking a more or less appointed route.

So there are interesting topics concerning micromanagement that can be
worked on in glob2, but nothing with optimal solutions.

> If successful, and with the permission of the relevant parties, I wish to
> base my honours thesis on the work that I'd have contributed to glob2.

Sure, why not.

> If you have ever had
> any thoughts about this issue before, please feel welcome to share them with
> me :)

Done.