[glob2-devel] libUSL not complete?

From: Kieran P
Subject: [glob2-devel] libUSL not complete?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:28:48 +1300

Hello,

Finally got some time to checkout the new libUSL stuff on the wiki. Decided to give it a go. First thing I noticed is the continuous syntax checking. Nice idea.

However, when I finished typing

show "This"

it froze. Screen went blank. No crash error messages. Just this in the console:

Value(0x8476ca0)
show "This"
0:0: ExecutionBlock
        1:12: ApplyNode
                1:1: DefLookupNode(show)

It just stops there.

USL is also extremely verbose! I mean EXTREMELY verbose. Both while editing, and when playing the game. The entire console buffer is filled with USL debug info within a matter of seconds. Could we either ditch this, compact it, or log it to a file please.

I guess it'll take time for the remaining game functions to become available, but overall the language looks nice and fresh (if it means anything to you, nice job). It's quite a different language (why := instead of just = for example), and despite what information is on http://www.globulation2.org/wiki/Map_editor_guide#USL , I'm still not clear how to do things like multi line functions or access game elements and stats (like   game->totalUnits  ?).

Any help with these issues is appreciated. Thanks.

Regards
Kieran