Re: [glob2-devel] libUSL not complete?

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] libUSL not complete?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:13:45 +0100

> USL is also extremely verbose! I mean EXTREMELY verbose. Both while editing,
> and when playing the game. The entire console buffer is filled with USL
> debug info within a matter of seconds. Could we either ditch this, compact
> it, or log it to a file please.

I agree completely. I'll fix it.

> I guess it'll take time for the remaining game functions to become
> available, but overall the language looks nice and fresh (if it means
> anything to you, nice job). It's quite a different language (why := instead
> of just = for example), and despite what information is on
> http://www.globulation2.org/wiki/Map_editor_guide#USL , I'm still not clear
> how to do things like multi line functions or access game elements and stats
> (like   game->totalUnits  ?).

Thank you, it does mean a lot to me.

The := used to declare stuff, has to be different from =, which has no
special meaning for the language. I still don't know whether to use it
for equality (instead of '==' like in c languages) or for assignment
(instead of <-, like in some other languages). In the future, optional
type information could go between the ':' and the '='.

I can't see the page you liked to, it looks like the server is having trouble:
Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 5242880) (tried to allocate
1245184 bytes) in
/home/glob2/public_html/wiki/languages/messages/MessagesEn.php on line
2579

Anyway, multi line function are as easy as:
def f(x) := {
  val y := x + 1
  y * 2
}
The function returns the result of the last expression.

Martin