Re: [glob2-devel] Hg cleanup status

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Hg cleanup status
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:23:57 +0100

> To conserve bandwidth and space it is best
> to avoid dscms completely and use a centralized system like SVN

Maybe if you focus on that point only.

We had good reasons not to choose svn and it paid of very well for us
that we did take mercurial.
Svn had bad merging support back then -  I don't know if they have
caught up now.

When Bradley had to use a computer at a public library for some month,
we were really happy that we chose a decentralized system that worked
on windows without a need for administrator rights. Also it worked
fast and efficient.

Also some of us are worried about the power of google. Svn is backed
by google for obvious reasons.

Mercurial and Bazaar were the control systems that suited us best.

> Also, forcing people to re-clone large repositories goes against the idea of
> conserving bandwidth.

That is true!
Steph, you should think about it.
We could focus on starting a completely new repository when we reach
glob2-1.0 and leave the old one separate as a reference.