[glob2-devel] NetMessages over TCP/IP for Speech Commands

From: Miller Peterson
Subject: [glob2-devel] NetMessages over TCP/IP for Speech Commands
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15:56:31 -0500

Hi,

I posted a little while ago about a speech interface to Globulation 2:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/glob2-devel/2009-02/msg00027.html

I'm on a really tight schedule (~2 weeks) to get this working due to
my own procrastination, so I'm cutting some corners: I'm going to use
the Java Sphinx-4 recognizer to get audio data from the microphone and
process it and then pass command messages to Glob2 via TCP/IP sockets.
I realize that this would probably break VOIP, but I don't have time
at the moment to implement streaming audio data captured in Glob2 to
the recognizer.

So I'm trying at this point just to get Glob2 receiving command
messages (strings) over TCP/IP from the Java recognizer. I figured I'd
use the NetListener class to accept connections, and then create a new
kind of NetMessage for my voice commands, which would come through the
NetConnection object provided by the NetListener. My problem is that I
don't know how to format messages on the Java recognizer side of
things so that they will can be decoded as NetMessages. Does it seem
like it would be possible to get Java to send data over the TCP/IP
socket that will be appropriately handled as NetMessages?

Hope this makes sense,
Miller