[glob2-devel] understanding pathfinding

From: Jannis Froese
Subject: [glob2-devel] understanding pathfinding
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 11:27:18 +0100

Hi,

I am a german student (18 years old) and will go to University in October. Currently I have my last exams at school and work as software developer. I really enjoy playing Glob2 and am looking a bit into the source code in my spare time, perhaps contributing when I get the time.

Because when playing the game I had problems with traffic jams and "stupid" behavior of globules on 1 block wide roads, I wanted to check out how pathfinding works. I understand that this is a really time-sensitive feature because every globule has to use it all the time. As far as I understand the code, you are barely using the A* algorithm (only for warriors?) but mostly using the function Map::directionByMinigrad (I suppose speed issues?). It would be nice if somebody could give me a few hints how this function works.

The funtion is using the two (constant) arrays tabFar and tabClose and is relying on gradients. What are these arrays for and how exactly work these gradients (which seem to be extremly important for pathfinding in Glob2).

Regards and thanks in advance

Jannis Froese

PS: You should change the welcome-message to this mailing-list. It still says:
>New ideas should be discussed on the forum or in glob2-ideas and then posted as wishes bug in the bugtracker.
It should instead point to glob2.uservoice.com for new ideas.