Re: [glob2-devel] understanding pathfinding

From: Linus Probert
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] understanding pathfinding
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:09:00 +0200

I actually opposed a master thesis on this last year. It was an extreemely interesting presentation and he who did the work had actually created a really nice algorithm that worked in areas with obstacles and other moving objects in the area.

If I can recall it correctly his algorithm itterated all objects that where meant to move and reserved their next space. Meaning after a space had been reserved no other object could move to that space. After that itteration was done all the objects moved to their next space.

I'm not sure how it handled the ordering but in the presentation we got to see a graphical example of this algorithm and i worked beautifully. For example if an object was blocking the only path to the goal of another object this object would take a step out of the way to let the object pass.

Thus even non moving characters had to reserve their space. I think I still have a copy of the report if you would like to read it. Although it was pretty heavy reading if I may say so myself but it was really cool.

Send me an email if you want a copy.

/Linus