Re: [Gm2] Installing on FreeBSD

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Installing on FreeBSD
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 15:08:34 +0100

Hi,

> I've manged to build the latest release to build on FreeBSD. It is
> currently compiling a make paranoid, and it is looking good.

excellent news..

> However, it seems it doesn't install any of the def files like
> SYSTEM.def etc. Where should these be put? I looked in
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd4.5/3.0.4/gm2, but this
> directory is completely empty. What is expected here?

yes all the library defs, mods and objects should be in this directory
Here is the contents of

   /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.0.4/gm2/

on my gnu-linux debian machine

ASCII.def          FormatStrings.def  SArgs.mod          StrIO.o
ASCII.mod          FormatStrings.mod  SArgs.o            StrLib.def
ASCII.o            FormatStrings.o    SEnvironment.def   StrLib.mod
Args.def           FpuIO.def          SEnvironment.mod   StrLib.o
Args.mod           FpuIO.mod          SEnvironment.o     StringConvert.def
Args.o             FpuIO.o            SFIO.def           StringConvert.mod
Assertion.def      IO.def             SFIO.mod           StringConvert.o
Assertion.mod      IO.mod             SFIO.o             Strings.def
Assertion.o        IO.o               SYSTEM.def         Strings.mod
Break.def          M2RTS.def          SYSTEM.mod         Strings.o
Break.mod          M2RTS.mod          SYSTEM.o           SysStorage.def
Break.o            M2RTS.o            Scan.def           SysStorage.mod
CmdArgs.def        MATH.def           Scan.mod           SysStorage.o
CmdArgs.mod        MATH.mod           Scan.o             TimeString.def
CmdArgs.o          MATH.o             Selective.def      TimeString.mod
Debug.def          Math.def           Selective.o        TimeString.o
Debug.mod          Math.mod           StdIO.def          UnixArgs.def
Debug.o            Math.o             StdIO.mod          UnixArgs.o
DebugPMD.def       MemUtils.def       StdIO.o            choosetemp.o
DebugPMD.mod       MemUtils.mod       Storage.def        libc.def
DebugPMD.o         NumberIO.def       Storage.mod        libc.o
Environment.def    NumberIO.mod       Storage.o          libgm2.a
Environment.mod    NumberIO.o         StrCase.def        wrapc.def
Environment.o      PushBackInput.def  StrCase.mod        wrapc.o
FIO.def            PushBackInput.mod  StrCase.o
FIO.mod            PushBackInput.o    StrIO.def
FIO.o              SArgs.def          StrIO.mod

the rule for copying the library files into this position is in
gm2/Make-lang.in, which I guess is going wrong somewhere?  Ahh I
wonder whether $$i should really be $(i) to ensure portability?

You might want to substitute all $$variablenames in gm2/Makefile.in
and gm2/Make-file.in to $(variablenames)

Thanks for the report

Gaius

gm2.install-normal:
gm2.install-common: installdirs $(GM2_LIB_DIR)
        -if [ -f xcc1gm2$(exeext) ] ; then \
           if [ -f gcc-cross$(exeext) ]; then \
              rm -f $(bindir)/$(GM2_CROSS_NAME); \
              $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) xgm2$(exeext) $(bindir)/$(GM2_CROSS_NAME); \
              chmod a+x $(bindir)/$(GM2_CROSS_NAME); \
           else \
              rm -f $(bindir)/$(GM2_INSTALL_NAME); \
              $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) xgm2$(exeext) $(bindir)/$(GM2_INSTALL_NAME); \
              chmod a+x $(bindir)/$(GM2_INSTALL_NAME); \
           fi ; \
        fi
        for i in $(GM2EXES) ; do \
            rm -f $(libsubdir)/$$i$(exeext); \
            $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) x$$i$(exeext) $(libsubdir)/$$i$(exeext); \
            chmod a+x $(libsubdir)/$$i$(exeext); \
        done
        for i in gm2/gm2-libs/* ; do \
           if [ ! -d $i ] ; then \
              rm -f $(GM2_LIB_DIR)/$$i ; \
              $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) $$i $(GM2_LIB_DIR) ; \
           fi ; \
        done
        rm -f $(bindir)/gm2m$(exeext)
        $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) xgm2m$(exeext) $(bindir)/gm2m$(exeext)