Re: [Gm2] gm2-0.4 released

From: Izo
Subject: Re: [Gm2] gm2-0.4 released
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:37:24 +0200

Christoph Schlegel wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:36:12 +0200
Izo <address@hidden> wrote:

[snip]

I understand that the pngtopnm and pnmtops are not found. Butthe next time I do make in gcc-host directory, it comes through - so obviously something is not quite correct in the build process.

Ok, now here's what I usually experience:

Whenever I build GNU Modula-2 (cvs and gcc from gnu.org) three
steps are necessary:

1. First I get en error because of some utilities I don't have
installed:

2. After redoing configure and make I get the following error
because I do not have Python installed:

3. And when redoing make and configure a third time, the
compiler is built without a problem. Does configure learn
from errors?

This procedure is basically wrong (as concerning the GNU Project tools) if the make distclean is not performed before configure. You could do make many times - but it performs differently 1st and following times for gcc builds - do not ask me why but it is true. So the build should go smoothly to be sure that everything is made properly. And as a matter of fact it does for everything except for GM2.

Unless this is fixed by Gaius, I propose building as follows:

1. configure
2. make -k
3. make

Thus you can be sure that the all other parts of the gcc tree are built in the make -k step, only GM2 is build in second make step. Re-configure is not needed, really, from my experience.

Anyway, this behaviour only appeared with gm2-0.4 so I believe that Gaius will fix it very soon.

What I am concerned more is that gcc-3.2.3+gm2-0.4 build does not work for me ! I have already sent the information about it. Gaius ?

BTW, Cristoph, good work on your Modula-2 page, as the GM2 is concerned. Keep on ! Only publish the information regularly (every 15 days) on the comp.lang.modula2 newsgroup !

Iztok