Re: [Gm2] Cygwin / Windows problem with .def files

From: Izo
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Cygwin / Windows problem with .def files
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:05:51 +0200

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

Hello,

it seems to confuse gcc (compiled with --enable-languages=c,gm2,...)
when I try to link a shared library with a .def file (usual way to
tell gcc/ld which symbols to export from the shared library):

gcc -shared mylib.def mylib.o other_object.o \
   -Wl,--more-linker-flags \
   -o mylib.dll
gcc tries to execute gm2l now.

It is possible to pass the .def file directly to the linker with -Wl,
but it is not needed to do so if .def is not a gcc-known gm2 specific
suffix.  Even libtool doesn't use -Wl, to pass the .def file to the
linker.
def and mod are extensions for modula-2 modules from Wirth on. It is by all means the best to use these. However, I have seen many extension sets for modula-2: dm/m , dm/im, d/i etc etc. Maybe Gaius would rethink a little bit to allow another extension set beside def/mod.

Izo