Re: [Gm2] Returning a string constant

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Returning a string constant
Date: 03 Nov 2008 11:13:34 +0000

Iztok Kobal <address@hidden> writes:

> So, Gaius - please, keep GM2 clean, mean and lean, strictly inside
> standards, and thus allow modula-2 another chance in programming world.
> Its simplicity and safety should show that its use pays off !
>
> Regards !
>
> Iztok

Hi Iztok,

thanks for the interesting case history and examples.  I'll try and
resist any new features - I'm currently aiming to finish the ISO
implementation in the compiler and the ISO libraries and then release
1.0.  There will be quite a few minor releases along this path.

Interestingly Eric Raymond is writing a paper on C++ considered
harmful.  http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=532

When writing programs in C++ I find I have to implement the solution
roughly 3x before I'm happy with the result - maybe due to my lack of
familiarity compared to other languages (C, M2 maybe).  But on the
other hand I don't really think this is the case as I find Python a
delight and I've written much more C++ than Python.

In the above blog the authors talk about the very best programming
languages facilitating "flow".  I can relate to this with Modula-2
and Python (nearly with C, but not when cross module boundaries :-)