Re: [Gm2] First time user needs help

From: Duke Normandin
Subject: Re: [Gm2] First time user needs help
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:22:11 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 8:51:32 PM, Duke wrote:
>
> DN> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Chris Lilley wrote:
> >> Like you, I recently took first steps with gm2 (not first with
> >> modula-2) and like you, I assumed that gm2 foo.mod would work.
>
> DN> hmmmm! 2 noobs on the list at once - could be interesting! :)
>

> Modula-2 is the language I know best, but I last did any serious
> work in it two decades ago, for an MSc in computer science. (I was
> using TopSpeed Modula-2, which had a nice integrated development
> environment). I have also used Pascal, TuroPascal, Fortran 77, some
> Basics and a tiny bit of Ada. And Z80 assembler (now, there is a
> handy, transferable skill for the present day).

> I'm getting back into it, using gm2.

I sure did think that you were a "programming" noob! I find myself in
pretty much the same situation as you - with Perl, PHP, Icon and Z80
assembler (the latter in the mid-80s), and some TurboPascal.

However, this is my first shot at Modula-2 (and Oberon-2)

> >> However, at this stage, the gcc environment does not 'know' about
> >> the modula-2 language in the same way that it knows about C, C++,
> >> F77, Ada etc.
>
> Speaking of which - and addressing the non-noobs of the list :) - I
> assume there is some way to inform gcc of the known extensions, so
> that in future it will know what to do with ,mod and ,def files?

I was struggling with that very same issue...

> DN> Are you using the Coronado tutorial as well? or R.J. Sutcliffe's book?
> DN> Thanks for the input.
>
> I was using what I remember, and the Coronado tutorial. I never
> learned the ISO modules, that was before my time, so I want to get
> to know those.

I think that Sutcliffe uses the ISO modules in his examples and text.
--
Duke