Re: [Gm2] Unable to build libgm2 on Mac 10.9.5 (Inrtel), Mac 10.5.8 (PPC

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Unable to build libgm2 on Mac 10.9.5 (Inrtel), Mac 10.5.8 (PPC), or Solaris 10 (Sparc)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 13:01:06 +0100

john o goyo <address@hidden> writes:

> I downloaded the file gcc-4.7.4+gm2-git-latest.tar.gz from floppsie
> (it took an hour at 0300) and tried to build on all three machines: G5
> running 10.5.8, iBook running 10.9.5, and SB 2500 running Solaris
> 10. Here are my results.
>
> On Mac 10.9.5 (and 10.5.8), the build simply ends with the following line.
>
> true  DO=all multi-do #
> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make
>

> On Solaris 10, the build simply ends with the following line (and
> gmake then unwinds its directory tree).
>
> true  DO=all multi-do # gmake
>

> In neither case is libgm2 built.  I am mystified as to why it builds
> on Linux systems but not these Unix systems.  Recall that building
> gm2-4.1.2 was not a problem.  (One difference noted is that some
> scripts seem to invoke /bin/sh, which is not bash, despite specifying
> SHELL on the configuration file.  I know not whether this plays any
> role.)
>
> If anyone has built libgm2 under gm2-4.7.4 on a non-Linux system, I
> would be most grateful to learn of the details.
>
> john

Hi John,

I'm going to try building on freebsd in an attempt to try building on
non debian systems.  This proved valuable in the past - the differences
were
minor but quickly identifiable. I've also applied for an account on the
gcc compile farm which will expose gm2 to a variety of different build
hosts (hopefully with some parallel build as well).

Yes the 4.7.4 build is quite different to the 4.1.2 (libgm2 is mandatory
on 4.7.4 as it needs to build multiarch libraries).

Thanks for trying gm2 and reporting the build failure!