Re: Moving along with mc

From: john o goyo
Subject: Re: Moving along with mc
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 13:10:09 -0400

Greetings, Benjamin.

On 2021-07-26 00:26, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:
Hi John,

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 at 03:28, john o goyo <jog37@riddermarkfarm.ca <mailto:jog37@riddermarkfarm.ca>> wrote:

    I should state that my goal is to extract m2 (and enough
    libraries) from
    gm2 to build a working PIM translator for those environments
    wherein gm2
    does not build.  (For example, GCC does not support my M1 box; the
    native compiler is clang.)

If you are aiming for a PIM translator, I'd like to suggest you follow the recommendations
(where applicable) in a paper I wrote a few years ago:

On the Maintenance of Classic Modula-2 Compilers
https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.07080 <https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.07080>

Thank you for the interesting reference.

I do not agree with all of the suggestions proposed but my intentions with mc are two-fold: (1) to use whatever is in mc with as little modification as possible (so that whenever mc changes, I can take the changes with little or no effort); and (2) there is a lot of legacay PIM code that is not cost-effective for me to modify.

Sincerely,
john

regards
benjamin