Re: off subject: strange 5110 hardware mod seen

From: Pavel Machek
Subject: Re: off subject: strange 5110 hardware mod seen
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:10:36 +0200

Hi!

> > > You're joking, but the DECT standard mentions something like that,
> > > where two GSM handsets can talk to each other directly over a range of
> > > ~300m. Outside that they use the network. You need about 3W to cover
> > > 20Km... - DECT is 250mW max.
> >
> > Where can I get details about DECT? Are there any phones out there
> > supporting it?
>
> http://www.dectweb.com/dectforum/aboutdect/whatis.htm
>
> It's the standard most wireless phones use. I came accross this
> when I was trying to get a patent on exactly that, mobile phones
> using a free frequency band for direct communication. DECT was
> the previous art which stopped it.

Well, I'd guess that "non-obviousness" should stop you, too ;-). [/me
does not like patents].

> Somewhere on the website they mention dual-mode phones which can
> do GSM and DECT. I don't think a lot of such phones have been built,
> it won't make the operators happy.

Is it doable only by software modifications? [Ericsson a1018s has been
reverse-engineered to the extent it *might* be possible to take over
it completely.]

Thanx for the links.
                                                                Pavel

--
(about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly.  However, I really think that the U.S.
no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa