Re: off subject: strange 5110 hardware mod seen

From: Iwo Mergler
Subject: Re: off subject: strange 5110 hardware mod seen
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:40:54 +0100

Pavel Machek wrote:

> Well, I'd guess that "non-obviousness" should stop you, too ;-). [/me
> does not like patents].

You're right, of course, but reality looks different. Patents are mainly
used these days to wage a kind of cold war between big companies. Even
if a patent is not 'valid' in the strict sense, it might still be used
for a cease-fire. You don't sue me and I don't sue you...

Btw, the best inventions are the obvious ones. Take the wheel... :^)

> > Somewhere on the website they mention dual-mode phones which can
> > do GSM and DECT. I don't think a lot of such phones have been built,
> > it won't make the operators happy.
>
> Is it doable only by software modifications? [Ericsson a1018s has been
> reverse-engineered to the extent it *might* be possible to take over
> it completely.]

I believe the frequency range for DECT is around 1.9GHz. I doubt that
the hardware can be programmed to change the frequency that far.

Iwo