RE: Mygnoki jako serwer SMS'ow.

From: Marcin Wiacek
Subject: RE: Mygnoki jako serwer SMS'ow.
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:04:51 +0200

Hi,

I translated it to English and I hope, I didn't make mistakes. You will
received two copies - I sent CC to gnokii and mygnokii list (have to do
it from 2 email accounts).

> I think, why such people like You make soft to share it with others ?
> Later such vulture like me instead of studying CETI documentation -
> look into few www pages, cut&paste few pages of source and have in one

> day things which normally have to be created during month. Could you
> tell me, what profits do you have, that you make this project (I add:
> mygnokii2) ? If you're student: are you doing it for idea ? What idea
> ? Regards
Well, in the past there were many different reasons. For now I will show
few points. You can agree or not, you can it's ill or not. It's not the
important here:

So, first you can make each thing using one of few ways. Examples:

1.you can steal and use ideas from other people (only)

2.you can exchange some your knowledge with others

3.you can imitate, that you share you knowledge and steal ideas from
other and don't give anything back

I think, that at least some things should be done using method 2. I
think, mygnokii2 is one of such things. Why ?

1.at least 70 or 80% soft installed in my PC is given for free from
other people. I like it very much (this method of licensing) and I want
to give some my work for free as hobby.

2.freedom of choice. Nodoby will tell me, what OS should I use. Nokia
doesn't give anything for Linux, but I want to have it and have
possibility of using my cell phone (even a little older - let's say 2
years old) with my current OS. Only "free" project allow it to me.

3.wasting time and money. I have enough testing this or other software
only because it has one required for me function. So, I move it to
mygnokii2 and it can be used always - not only let's say under win98 or
with mbus cable.

4.money. Partially for this work I had some money in the past. Not too
big, but enough for me - I don't need Mercedes for now.

5.possibility of using different phones with one small software.

6.possibility of looking into some man behaviour. It's visible
especially with gnokii project. Majority of people use method 1 or 3.
And I see it in gnokii's developers behaviour. It's interesting
sometimes to see, how some people (here: generally, at all) are very
small with their behaviour and want to show all world, that they can
more than they do. Big plans, nothing more (reason: sometimes no time,
no real skills, etc.). It's interesting, that people (generally, at all)
sometimes don't want to go into their place in queue...and in result
kill some things or ideas.

7.possibility of making some interesting things. It's possible to do
much things with cell phones that Nokia give :-)

8.no more making stupid things. When I make some projects for
laboratories (my studies), I don't want to make things for one time
only. Because of it I preffer coding mygnokii2 than stupid tic/tac or
something else (although it's easier).

9.I don't want to be reason of illness or death of somebody. When I will
(let's imagine it - maybe it only my fance and I will only clean rubbish
from streets) programm some things for cars, I want to know, that at
least some stupid errors are removed fro it and in normal situations my
thing will work OK. Mygnokii2 is possibility of improving my skills. I
learn also, how to make some things in end time and how to manage
projects at all.

Isn't it enough ? I don't give everything for free. No, only some things
and mygnokii2 is here. And I will improve it. I see also, that my points
and behaviour give results and mygnokii2 doesn't have only 4 (?) main
gnokii things for now: real smsd, gui, datacalls and support for old
3110 and 2110 phones. All other (for DCT3, AT is in progress) work OK
and I don't have to waste time for fixing them from release to release.
You can quess, where (inside which project) were such problems (like
noticed in  last part of last sentence)...

Anyway, when all people will use method 1, in some time there won't be
sources to use available... Without behaviour in point 2 in some time
you can stand up in such country, where big companies and government
will say you in each step, what should you buy to make this and this
(let's say - there is GSM standard, but for using GSM you have to buy
Nokia, for exploring it you have to buy P4 2000Mhz and Win XP ;-))))
although 80486 and DOS is enough - see mygnokii2).

Pozdrowienia/Best Regards
--
Marcin Wiacek (mailto:address@hidden,
http://marcin-wiacek.topnet.pl, http://marcin-wiacek.fkn.pl/)