Re: Nokia 3410 Differences (61xx comatible)

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Nokia 3410 Differences (61xx comatible)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:42:32 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Marcus Godehardt wrote:

> yes i tried gammu and gnokii it compiles ( gnokii with some serious
> warnings and minor modififcations on vc6 ), then i started it and
> tried it with my Nokia3410 and it works fine.

This is to be fixed. If anyone is interested in it I'm all open for fixing
this. But as I personally don't use vc6, I can't do it.

> But when i activate monitor and make a call from my phone manual phone
> sends FRAME_BREAK and a lot of 0 to gnokii which it cant handle and
> crashs and so it drops some frames.

This is to be fixed.

> gnokii does not handle fbus correctly when resending frame. When
> gnokii sends frame to phone and gets no ACK it increments seq number,
> thats wrong and should be changed only after ACK from phone, gnokii
> can increment seq number ( i have seen that with NDS )

Thanks for pointing this out. Does incrementing seq number really causes
any problems? Or is this only observation from NDS -- it doesn't
nesseserily need to be wrong. But if it causes any problems it is indeed a
bug.

> So i decided to make a real Object Orientated new native project, it
> was never thought as replaclement for gnokii.

But I can still see no reasons for this.

> My goal handle all what NDS can like contacts SMS calendar, add logo
> and ringtone upload/download support and find a way to upload java
> applets via cable to a Nokia3410 (which is not official supported).

This is also a goal for gnokii. In fact what you wrote is a subset of
gnokii goals.

> The gnokii windows serial port native code has also some minor design
> flaws, for e.g. the async COM read and write can loose data. I will
> soon make my first version public and bring it to a public cvs server,
> so gnokii native windows serial port support can rewritten.

If gnokii windows serial port support has design flaws it has to be fixed.
This is NOT the reason for starting a new project.

pkot