Re: [Multisync-devel] Multisync Nokia (Gnokii) plugin

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: [Multisync-devel] Multisync Nokia (Gnokii) plugin
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:06:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, [iso-8859-1] Balint Reczey wrote:

>  --- Pawel Kot <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, [iso-8859-1] Balint Reczey
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Telephone numbers containing characters other than
> > > digits, + and 'space' cannot be stored.
> > > I think it should be fixed in gnokii's
> > > gn_phonebook_entry_sanitize()
> >
> > This is not supported by the phones themself. Either
> > using FBUS protocol,
> > or usin AT commands, the phone will reject such
> > entry. The questionable is
> > who should take care of the number validation.
> I've met this problem when syncing Ximian Evolution
> and Nokia 6310i.
> The Evolution contact list contained a default entry
> for Ximian, and contained numbers like: (612) 555-111
> I think, the gn_entry_sanitize should substitute the
> numer with : +612555111, or at least eliminate '-'-s.

Well, I can eat (, ) and - easily. When should I add + at the beginning?
In other words: how do I recognize international number?

> > > Gnokii can store limited amount of properties (10
> > > subentries per entry), so don't be suprised if
> > just a
> > > subset of your VCard object appears in your phone.
> >
> > Again, this is the limit of the phones in most
> > cases. I think it is not
> > the problem to extend it if there's a need.
> It would be really nice to have ability to query the
> maximal amount of subentries somehow and store these
> subentries in gn_phonebook_entry. Currently
> gn_phonebook_entry can store a fixed amount (10) of
> subentries.

Right. It was set in the time when Nokia 7110 was a modern phone. See the
comment there:
        /* 7110 is able to have in one
         * entry 5 numbers and 4
         * texts [email,notice,postal,url] */
But I definitely agree with you. I will take a look how much harm will it
make to the API to change it.

> > > The patch includes a vcard.c file which could be
> > used
> > > in gnokii instead of current implementation,
> > because
> > > the original one lacks tests for buffer
> > overwrites.
> >
> > That's odd from you. Wouldn't it be better to submit
> > a patch for gnokii?
> That's my plan too, but it needed small cleanups. :-)
> I'll keep vcard.c in gnokii plugin too, until the
> Debian distro accepts the upstream version that
> contains the patch.

Okay. In the mean time I'm fixing the potential segfaults, noticing some
bugs in the vcard.c code ;-)

thanks for good work,
pkot
--