Re: Nokia 6670/ Mandriva LE 2005

From: Istvan Seidel
Subject: Re: Nokia 6670/ Mandriva LE 2005
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 16:17:59 +0200

Am Freitag, 3. Juni 2005 21:59 schrieb Matthew Kay:
Hello;
> I have this phone, and like it a lot - there's no proper sync mechanism
> yet but gnokii does at least allow backups and other fiddling,
can you sync pictures and videoclips? which other way does exist, if the phone
dont sync, to get the immages to the computer.

> It runs the
> Series 60 edition of the Symbian OS; gnokii has a common strategy for
> all Series 60 phones. Rather than a direct driver, gnokii implements a
> server-client model using a .sis file which you can install on your
> phone which is called gnapplet.
what about my installation problem:

### Please make sure to have /usr/local/lib in
### the system defaults or in /etc/ld.so.conf and run
### /sbin/ldconfig at some time. Otherwise gnokii may
### not work.

as i saw gnokii 0.6.7 is installed, but is this meaning, that gnokii will not
do full funktionality?

> You must make sure that the version of gnapplet you run on your phone
> matches that of your gnokii installation - the easiest way to do this is
> to use the gnapplet.sis file included with your source package (I think
> I read that you downloaded 0.6.7) or just take the plunge and download
> both gnapplet and gnokii sources from CVS. For this, see this document:
>
> http://www.gnokii.org/cvs.shtml
>
> You must be running gnapplet on your phone to interact with it via
> gnokii, but it can run in the background - use a file manager to edit
> the .ini file and disable the timeouts if you like, then you can just
> start it up and press the red button (disconnect). All the Series 60
> phones allow you to switch between tasks by holding the menu button down
> for a second.

now i downloaded 'gnapplet-0.6.2.tar.gz' and  'gnokii-current.tar.gz'
but how can i get it on my phone, and which exact files do i need?
you have to know: this is my verry first mobile phone at all, and i don't have
any experiences with it.

> As for the connection, I don't use USB so I can't advise you on that.
> Below is the README.Symbian file. Bluetooth is tried and tested on my
> end, so let me know if you want to give that a go.
what do i need for my ibm r40 laptop to communicate with my phone via
bluetooth?

thanks for all help:
Istvan