Re: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xanadux/qomunicator/

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xanadux/qomunicator/
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:59:09 +0100

Hi,

On 1/12/06, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <address@hidden> wrote:
> if anyone's interested, i've started an experiment to create a gnokii
> qt app, to be compiled up initially on x86, then primarily targetted
> at qt/embedded.

That's a good news.

> can anyone tell me: do i stand a decent chance of being able to
> develop _independent_ programs that don't clash - such as one
> app that does SMS, another that does phone (only), another that
> does contact / address-book?

In short: no.
With explanation: you could do it currently in a bit complicated way
that every single app is doing locking and unlocking on its own. But
that some logic that needs to be put in each application. And you can
have some timeouts, starving etc.

The better idea was already discussed here but unfortunately due ot my
lack of time was not implemented. It is to create some daemon
communicating with DBUS (preferably, but maybe with plugins with other
communication layers as DCOP or anything else). So this daemon
exclusively communicates over libgnokii with the phone and every other
app communicates over DBUS with this daemon. I already started some
implementation using DCOP (as it seemed a bit easier than DBUS and had
better support with Qt). It's a bit ugly but I can share the code.
More important is the design though. So we wouldn't need to rewrite it
in short time.

I'm willing to help but probably won't be able to code everything.

take care,
pkot
--
Pawel Kot