Re: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xanadux/qomunicator/

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Subject: Re: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xanadux/qomunicator/
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:12:01 +0000

okay.

i've settled on an approach.  it's a very simple one: a gnokii proxy
daemon.

it will have three unix-domain-sockets on which connections can be
made - /tmp/gnokii-phone/sock; /tmp/gnokii-msg/sock;
/tmp/gnokii-addr/sock.

it will _not_ be multi-threaded or use fork() - just make prodigious use
of select().

on the "phone" socket, the letter "D" followed by a telephone number and
a \n character will result in gn_call_dial() being called, and then
return to the select() loop.  it will receive a response - "1\n" if it
worked, and "0\n" if it didn't.

we're going for maximum over-simplicity here :)

the application will be expected to send, every second or so i should
imagine, a "I\n" command to see if there's an incoming phone call or
not.

"\n" will be sent if there isn't;
"callerid\n" will be sent if there is.

other commands i'll add later, such as "gimme battery status" -
surprisingly this will probably be "B\n" :)

the messaging socket will be as equally simple.

if anyone mentions d-bus and how great it is and how much
better suited it is to the job of supplanting 500 lines of
unix-domain-socket code, i will batter them into unconsciousness
with my htc mobile phone (it's quite large) if ever i meet them.

l.