RE: Nokia 6021 - smsd and mysql - pulls out Inbox messages but not Sent

From: Jan Derfinak
Subject: RE: Nokia 6021 - smsd and mysql - pulls out Inbox messages but not Sent items messages
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:02:20 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, Andrew Thompson wrote:

> Basically  I have a problem where nagios can flood the phone with sms
> alerts to send out and they all appear to be sent out at the exact same
> second according to Nagios.  When this happens no texts are ever received
> even though Nagios says they were sent.
>
> So I would pointed off to using the smsd with mysql to manage the
> congestion issues and it should send any messages that are in the tables
> that are not marked as sent.

The advise you got was right, sql server can accept sms messages in much higher
rate than phone.

> So in light of what you said I just need to get Nagios to send its messages
> to the sql first instead of directly out to the contacts and then sql sends
> the message back to the phone to send out?

Right, but not SQL but smsd will send messages stored in database.

> Do you have any info on how to manage this as I currently have nagios
> commands to send directly to mobile phone number
>
> Define command{
> Command_name  host-server-by-sms
> Command_line          /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***Nagios***\n\n
> $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\n $HOSTALIAS$ is $HOSTSTATE$" ¦ /usr/bin/gnokii
> --sendsms $CONTACTPAGER$
> }

I'm not Nagios expert so somebody can find better integration with Nagios.
Try to use something like this:

Command_line            /usr/bin/printf "INSERT INTO outbox (number, text)
values ('$CONTACTPAGER$', '%b ***Nagios***\n $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n $HOSTALIAS$
is $HOSTSTATE$');" ¦ mysql [mysql_parameters] smsd_db_name

It works for me from command line but it is not tested with Nagios. Maybe
you will need to play with " and '. I don't know what %b is for.

Jan