Re: sms encoding problem on postgresql

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: sms encoding problem on postgresql
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:40:46 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 23:19, Esmin Gracić <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Pawel Kot <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Postgresql 9.1 (utf8 db) as storage engine and ZTE MF622 usb modem.
>>> The issue is pg does not support utf16.
>>
>> But what is the actual problem? This is not the problem description
>> from gnokii point of view.
>
> When there is any of  šđžćčlŠĐŽĆČ (serbian, croatian,
> bosnian...)characters in sms (my guess is when sms is using utf16 and
> not gsm-7) , I get ? in inbox instead of each of these.
> If I send sms with any of this characters, sms receipient gets empty sms.

It should basically work. Can you try gnokii --getsms/--sendsms? If it
works then the problem lies somewhere between smsd and postgres. If it
does not it lies around libgnokii.

>>> 1. How does smsd handle conversion from gsm encoding variants to uft8,
>>> and vice versa for sending?
>>
>> What do you mean by "how"? Usually using iconv library.
>>
>>> I see in official TODO:
>>> SHORT TERM
>>>  * remove encoding workarounds -- should be purely based on libiconv and
>>>   glib (in progress)
>>
>> Well, it is mostly done. There are still leftovers with the
>> workarounds but only as alternative implementations.
> Can you point me how to use these alternative implementations. Maybe
> that will resolve this pg issue.

You can't. It is detected on compile time. And certainly these
alternative implementations are no any better than libiconv one.

take care,
--
Pawel Kot