Re: sms encoding problem on postgresql

From: Jan Derfinak
Subject: Re: sms encoding problem on postgresql
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:21:27 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012, Esmin Gracić wrote:

> >> Postgresql 9.1 (utf8 db) as storage engine and ZTE MF622 usb modem.
> >> The issue is pg does not support utf16.
> >
> > But what is the actual problem? This is not the problem description
> > from gnokii point of view.
>
> When there is any of  šđžćčlŠĐŽĆČ (serbian, croatian,
> bosnian...)characters in sms (my guess is when sms is using utf16 and
> not gsm-7) , I get ? in inbox instead of each of these.
> If I send sms with any of this characters, sms receipient gets empty sms.

The smsd - db conversion should work if you have the same client and server
encoding.  If your client has different encoding than db, try to use -e
option for setting client charset (see description of PQsetClientEncoding()
function in posgresql documentation). Postgresql library is then responsible
for correct conversion.
To check if gnokii library works, try with gnokii command line client.

jan