[Gnu-arch-users] hmmm.

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] hmmm.
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:57:26 -0700 (PDT)

(forwarded, very indirectly:)

Date Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:01:00 -0700
>From Larry McVoy <>
Subject: Re: *sigh* something is wrong with bkcvs again

Let's put this into context. I got up this morning to find Aaron's
posting and I started looking into the problem. It turned into a mess
and rather than spend Saturday with my wife and kids I sent them out
of the house so I could focus on this and fix it. It took several
hours to track down the bug and the tree has been rebuilding since
about 1pm. I gave up half my weekend to fix this stuff. I made my
family get out of the house for your benefit, my wife is pissed at me,
my kids are pissed at me, and people here are rude to me for giving
them something for free that they should have built themselves. Hey,
wrong answer and I'm the idiot for putting up with it. So I pointed
out to the list that I don't like it and I tried to make it clear by
pointing out that you wouldn't put it with that sort of bug report
from me about the kernel. Apparently I wasn't clear enough so here is
try #2: - We don't owe you this service - You could have built this
service - People are routinely rude about it when there are problems -
Keep it up and the service goes away We didn't get a nice message
saying "please look at bk2cvs, it seems broken", we got an annoyed
message from some guy with an ax to grind. Here's a quote from him
talking about Pavel's oh-so-great BitKeeper clone: "It would be better
if you stored it in BitKeeper just to piss Larry off."
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=104653836702419&w=2 The
bk2cvs gateway is a free service, it costs us money to provide
it. People seem to think we are obligated to provide it and support
it, and they think it's OK to be rude. Here's a feedback loop for you:
every time I get a rude mail about this service the gateway gets shut
down. First time is 1 day and it doubles every time after that. That
means that you all as a community need to pass the word that it's not
healthy to be rude. I'm sick of it, I've had it with that, I have
absolutely zero tolerance for it and no sense of humor about it. Some
people have gotten the message, Ben Collins is a great example. He's
been polite and pleasant to deal with and as a result we host the
BK2SVN gateway next to the BK2CVS gateway. If you're nice I'll bend
over backwards to help you but I've had it with rude people. It
doesn't take any substantial effort to be polite and you as a
community need to require that politeness or give up the gateway. It's
that simple. --

---
Larry McVoy              lm at bitmover.com          http://www.bitmover.com/lm
-