Re: [Gnu-arch-users] hmmm.

From: Miles Egan
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] hmmm.
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 10:44:38 -0700

Tom Lord wrote:

   > It's really too bad this relationship has deteriorated so far.

I both agree and disagree.

Second, I disagree because I think that deterioration of "this
relationship" is structurally inevitable.

I suspect you're right that this kind of conflict was inevitable, or at least very likely, given the nature of the arrangement between BitMover and the kernel developers. It's still disturbing to see such acrimony over such a fundamental
element of kernel development.

        4) Some groups started working on cloning BK.  LM told them to
          give up.  He threatened to modify the network protocols in
          such a way as to make cloning impractical without examining
          BK in operation -- an action that LM asserted would be
          illegal and that he would take legal action against.

This seemed to me like a real red flag as well. The kernel team has placed a tremendous amount of trust in BitMover's good will and intentions. This calls those intentions into question.

The privilege of being a patron to the kernel developer community does
not buy one the right to be tyranical.  "Tyranical patronage" is an
oxymoron.  Tyranny or patronage, LM, which is it going to be?  (And
don't the BitMover business model, BK software architecture, and BK
gratis license already determine the answer?)

Of course. Once again it seems like RMS's early vocal opposition, as usual labeled by many as overreactive and paranoid, seems very prescient. It seems that the lesson that truly free software can
depend only on truly free tools needs to be re-learned occasionally.

I'm already cringing in anticipation at the blowup that will follow Microsoft's first crackdown on Mono, but
that's certainly very OT for this list.

miles