[Gnu-arch-users] (no subject)

From: Maksim Lin
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:09:45 +0930

All 3! :-)
And you are very right - this is an extremely hard problem, just  ask the HCI
people.
But my point is that tla should not be making life hard for new users, just
because supposedly its trying to "teach" them the "one true" software
development
process.
As Miles pointed out, a new user (eg. me) discovers tla - go WOW what an
excellant
tool!, downloads & builds it, then tries to import some exisitng code.
And buzzzt! sorry you have to learn about putting unique tags in your code,
you have to learn about how regex's sort your files into different categories
(precious, src, junk, etc).
Sorry if I was the typical user I would already be looking at how perforce gives
me a free 2user licensed download or thinking maybe going back to cvs wouldn't
be all that bad affter all....
But I think tla is one of the best sw dev tools I have seen, Toms architecture
of archives, branches, changesets & merges is just so simple & elegent that
its amazing and makes me want to stick with it.
But the dev method politics? Sorry, no matter how good the intentions, I dont
think a tool should be dicating that to me (having a safety switch on the
chainsaw
is fine, but making me use it on specially prepared trees is not).
I guess what I'm trying to get at is tla should make life easy for a novice
& still have the richness of configurablity & features to satisfy the advanced
user.
And most importantly of all I think its almost there...

Maks.