[Gnu-arch-users] Re: (no subject)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: (no subject)
Date: 29 Aug 2003 11:45:22 +0900

"Maksim Lin" <address@hidden> writes:
> a new user (eg. me) discovers tla - go WOW what an excellant tool!,
> downloads & builds it, then tries to import some exisitng code.  And
> buzzzt! sorry you have to learn about putting unique tags in your
> code, you have to learn about how regex's sort your files into
> different categories (precious, src, junk, etc).

The thing is, I don't think arch/tla is particularly unusual in having
these things; the details may be slightly different, but all
source-control systems (except perhaps RCS!) seem to have such concepts.

For instance, when you move a project into CVS that was previously
maintained without source control, you have exactly these sorts of
problems; of course CVS is `by name' only so you don't have the
id-taggin issue, but if the ease of setup is worth the later pain, you
can easily do that in arch too.

Some shell scripts to handle specific cases might go a long way (e.g.,
as I mentioned before, scan for .cvsignore files and build appropriate
regexps in =tagging-method, etc).

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]