Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagging-method explicit implementation

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagging-method explicit implementation
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:26:06 -0700

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:21:30AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Bruce Stephens <address@hidden> writes:
> > Because (while arch is still gaining mindshare) I can't justify adding
> > taglines.
>
> Actually taglines are even _more_ useful in such a situation, because
> they mean a file keeps its `identity' even when exported and re-imported
> later (perhaps after much hacking and re-arrangement).  They make using
> arch in an ancillary role much easier.

I work a lot with english text, and tag-lines would be out of place in those
files. Plain text is not the same as source code, because source code is meant
to be compiled or run, in such a way that the tag-lines have no impact. For
plain text, 'running' the file consists of reading it, and the tag-lines
are intrusive in that case.

Be well,
Zack