Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagging-method explicit implementation

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagging-method explicit implementation
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:38:02 +0100

Ethan Benson <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> its really too bad extended attributes are not widespread enough
> yet, it seems to be they are perfect for things like arch tags.  all
> the benifits of tagline without crufting up the file data.

I think extended attributes would be more of an alternative to
explicit than taglines.

But in any case, what Arch needs to know is how files have been added,
removed, and moved---it needs to know what has happened to the logical
identities.  taglines, extended attributes, and whatever else we might
invent, are ways to tell Arch that.

All I'm suggesting is that for the explicit tagging method (and
methods that allow explicit, particularly tagline), we could more
directly record what's happening to the files (since we're already
telling Arch, by using "tla move" and things).  Then it can record
that in a more compact way, and we can do away with the .arch-ids
cruft in the actual sources.