Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tagging-method explicit implementation

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tagging-method explicit implementation
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:29:28 +0100

On 2003-08-29 00:46:15 +0100 Mark A. Flacy <address@hidden> wrote:
When you move or rename the directory, its .arch-ids subdirectory [...]

Ah, so .arch-ids is in every directory? That's what I was missing. I assumed that we had .arch-ids/full/path/to/file. Not sure why I assumed that.

I see what was meant by "arch droppings" being scattered through the tree. OK, it's no worse than "CVS" directories everywhere, as they're less visible, but it makes exporting tarballs less fun.

[...]
By "transparent", Robert meant that none of your tools moving and renaming
files need to understand that the file is version controlled.

Flip-side, tools won't notice a file being moved accidentally. That one cuts both ways.