[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagging-method explicit implementation

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagging-method explicit implementation
Date: 29 Aug 2003 17:30:21 +0900

Bruce Stephens <address@hidden> writes:
> Sure, I mean I can't justify adding such tags to every file, because
> such lines don't help anyone except me (and whoever else might decide
> to use arch).

Yeah, but they don't hurt either anyone else either.

> Changing every file in the repository is something we try to avoid,
> generally.

That's a good general rule, but the main issue to worry about is that of
conflicts, and because arch taglines (typically) occur at the end of the
file, conflicts are probably unlikely.

I think I'd say:  If you (or others) envision really using arch actively
with a project, it's probably worth it to add taglines, even if the
majority of developers continue to use CVS or something; if you're just
futzing around seeing what arch's like and don't know whether you'll be
using it 2 months from now, it's probably not worth it to add taglines.

[The other consideration of course, is the organization and political
realities of making such a pervasive change, even if the potential for
problems is pretty low.  With emacs, adding taglines is easy for me
because the core developer community is small and informal, but many
projects are not this way.]

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."