Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tagging-method explicit implementation

From: Ethan Benson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tagging-method explicit implementation
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:52:34 -0800

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:11:45AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> That's why tagline (y amigos) is attractive.  What we really want is a
> virtual file system (ie, dentry) that allows attaching arbitrary
> properties to a create a logical file identity, a "resource fork", as
> MacOS has.  We don't have that, so put it in the file.

you don't need a resource fork.  extended attributes as implemented in
XFS and 2.6 versions of ext2/ext3 would serve this purpose:

address@hidden ~$ setfattr -n user.arch-id -v "address@hidden Sun Dec 15
23:28:15 AKST 2002 14800.0" file
address@hidden ~$ getfattr -n user.arch-id file
# file: file
user.arch-id="address@hidden Sun Dec 15 23:28:15 AKST 2002 14800.0"
address@hidden ~$ mv file otherfile
address@hidden ~$ getfattr -n user.arch-id otherfile
# file: otherfile
user.arch-id="address@hidden Sun Dec 15 23:28:15 AKST 2002 14800.0"

ive been thinking it might be possible for arch to internally store
explicit inventory tags as it does now, but if the filesystem its
running on supports xattr it could fill the arch-ids into xattrs
instead of .arch-id dirs.  but this is probably messy and too kludgy,
and it would only benifit users of irix, and linux kernel 2.4 with
XFS, or 2.6 kernels with xfs/ext2/ext3.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/