[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Using Arch to track non-Arch upstreams

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Using Arch to track non-Arch upstreams
Date: 29 Aug 2003 12:12:18 +0900

It seems like people may be talking about different cases...

I see two:

  (1) Where the taglines are added to the canonical sources (even though
      they're not maintained using arch); this is what I intend to do
      for emacs.

      I think in this case, taglines are unquestionably useful, because
      the identity sticks to the file, no matter where it goes.

  (2) Where the taglines are _not_ in the canonical sources, and are
      re-added to the source files whenever you do an import.

      In this case, they're obviously a bit more annoying, and less
      obviously superior to explicit tags.

      However they could still be preferable if you only
      import/synchronize-with external sources rarely, so the added
      convenience within the arch universe is worth it; also, they
      might be desirable if you intend to _later_ get taglines added to
      the canonical sources, since the upgrade will be easier
      (currently taglines and explicit tags can never be the same).

-Miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....