[Gnu-arch-users] tla get --hard-links available

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] tla get --hard-links available
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:05:51 +0200 (CEST)

I have implemented an option to the get command called "hard-links".
I've tested it and works flawlessly :) YMMV

It should be useful to CAREFUL people who:
-have many branches derived from the same trunk
-need speedy gets
-know the implications of working on hard linked files
-copy-on-write when saving files

Cons
-----
-The immediate danger is that you CAN CORRUPT the archive if you modify
 the the files without breaking the hardlinks.
-It needs to build revision lbraries to link to (obviously you need to
 define my-default-library).
-Library and tree have to be in the same device (no hardlinks across
 devices).

Pros
----
-Lightening fast gets
-Space preservation

TODO
----
-Add validation code, using inode-sigs, to the library operations to
 eliminate the risks of corrupting the archive in case that you modify it.
 This validation will be worth to all the routines that use libraries as
 it will check its validity.
-Add --hard-links to build-config (maybe more commands, just tell me so)

Availability
-I've built a public arch to host these changes:
* archive name: address@hidden
* location:     http://arch.newtral.org/{archives}/arch-2003
* project:      address@hidden/tla--devo--1.1

You can cherry-pick the patch to implement it directly from:
address@hidden/tla--devo--1.1--patch-1

I hope it's useful to someone.
Pau