[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arch hooks

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arch hooks
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 14:22:15 +0900

    Miles> But I think it's the default which is important.

I don't think so.  Tom is correct; the issue is whether you implement
it at all, and how.  Go read Ghostscript's Use.htm on the subject of
automatically prepending '.' to the search path.  If it's available,
and convenient, it will become the defacto default even if Tom is
stronger than Peter Deutsch managed to be in the face of "user demands".

    Miles> Typing `make' is potentially dangerous, but people are very
    Miles> used to the concept, and if they have some doubts about the
    Miles> sources, it's a well-defined and familiar point before
    Miles> which they can assume things are safe.

If you have doubts about the sources, it's because you don't trust the
archive.  Turn the hook mechanism off.

Personally, I would set it to 'ask (or even 'show-me-first), never t.
I have enough experience with /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.postinst to wish I
could turn that off, too, but I can't.

  It's the Debian install scripts that give Perl a bad name. -- Simon Cozens