Re: [Gnu-arch-users] losing pristine trees? Slowdown for network archive

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] losing pristine trees? Slowdown for network archives...
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:05:37 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Paul Hedderly <address@hidden>

    > On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 10:08:03AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

    > > The plan, such as it is, is to try to eliminate pristine trees, but
    > > some more hacking is needed before that can be done.

    > Ok I might have missed the plot... but won't this affect people doing
    > work with a remote archive? Ie make checkins/updates/etc orders of
    > magnitude slower?

No.  The idea is not to eliminate having a locally-cached copy of a
known-good immediate ancestor -- just to eliminate (at least
optionally) having it in {arch}.

You indirectly raise a good requirement for proposed caching
algorithms that I left out:

Suppose I get from some (say, remote) archive.   Currently,
`what-changed' works thereafter, always, without needing to recontact
that archive.   This remains true even if I rename the project-tree I
created with `get'.

A perfect caching algorithm to completely kill pristine trees must
preserve that property.

In general, of course, this is quite impossible.   So the real
question is how usefully close we can come.