Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: readdir() optimization for ext3/Linux 2.6

From: Ollivier Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: readdir() optimization for ext3/Linux 2.6
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:16:04 +0200

According to Momchil Velikov:
> Ollivier> I'd be against (and I think Tom too) putting any kind of
> Ollivier> FS-specific optimisations in Arch.
>
> Why ?

Because portability is difficult enough without putting FS-specific kludges
(which are less portable than OS specific ones) in the code. The way
directories are handled by the OS is the OS problem. Unless there's a known
bug in that, Arch has no business plyaing with that.

> How is this relevant to ext2 ? Does such ordering hurt FFS ?

Completely irrelevant to ext2 :)  I don't think it is bad for FFS, I just
say, it is the OS business, not Arch's.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- address@hidden
Darwin snuadh.freenix.org Kernel Version 6.8: Wed Sep 10 15:20:55 PDT 2003