Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: expert needed: arch doesn't support multi-commi

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: expert needed: arch doesn't support multi-committer archives!
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:22:52 -0500

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 12:01, James Blackwell wrote:
> If you think it through, localhost ends up with exactly the same
> problems as remote. Any file a user can write a user can edit, truncate
> or just plain rm. This holds whether we're working on the local
> filesystem or a remote filesystem. There's just no way around that.

That's only using the traditional UNIX filesystem setup. AFS ACLs, for
instance, permit users to be given distinct permissions with regard to
file creation, modification, deletion, etc; I'd presume that other UNIX
ACL implementations do likewise.

That said, though, I think using ACLs in this case is silly -- a much
better solution exists.

I just told my mailer to look for messages in this thread that contain
the phrase "patch manager" -- and was astounded to find none at all.
Doesn't having a daemon that performes OpenPGP-signed merge requests
from developers' archives into the central repository (like the one
Colin Walters just wrote) fix the problem this whole thread is in
response to?