[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Design proposal to kill pristine trees

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Design proposal to kill pristine trees
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:44:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > Using a static path, I have to (I guess) list every such `local' revlib
>     > in the path, and the wrong one might be used in some cases.
>
> Your hook script for adding demanded pristines can add it where it
> pleases.  Perhaps also your hook script should be able to modify the
> static path before returning.

Let's go first for Tom's acceptable solution and, afterwards, let's
demonstrate him that returning a path instead of only adding a revision
could simplify things in the following ways:

-no need to mantain a path for revlibs, the hook takes care
-no need to modify my-revision-library to accept multiple paths
-no need to modify find-local-cache functions to look in multiple paths
-no need to do anything special for get --link as the hook would take care
 of creating the revision in the desired directory and returning it

I see it very clear, but Tom's main concern, as discussed in IRC, is that
you could corrupt the archives with bad hook returns. I think I could
overcome that just checking that the path really belongs to the requested
revision. It would make things easier, but he's still not convinced :(

I'll start coding this up and keep you informed.

Pau