Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla usage

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla usage
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:11:46 -0400

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 02:32:49PM -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
> >     cvs commit -m "bla"
> >     tla make-log  && \
> >     vi ./+*  && \
> >     tla commit
>
>       vim `tla make-log`
>       tla commit

Actually it's even simpler than that; I usually use:

   tla commit -s'blah'

which commits with a Subject: line of `blah'.  I only use make-log if I want
to put in a long explanation of something.  commit also has a -L option
which can be used to set the log body, so you can do

   tla commit -s'subj' -L'body'

to avoid using make-log in longer cases too.  I expect an interesting use of
this for projects with manually-updated ChangeLogs might be some variant of:

   tla commit -s'subj' -L"`get-changelog-changes`"

where get-changelog-changes is a script that gets the new portion of all
modified changelogs and reformats them appropriately.  Hmmm, maybe I'll
write a script like that...

Anyway, yeah, if you are stressed about tla's CLI, you shouldn't be looking
at 1.0; _many_ things have changed in 1.1 (and things are still changing).

-Miles
--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
 you do it."  Mahatma Ghandi