Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla usage

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla usage
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:09:07 +1000

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 05:21, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,

> Some points;
> - tla is very stubborn,  and I feel I have to work around it quite a lot
> instead of it helping me.
> First example is that I wanted to do a quick import of an existing project.
> I failed since an import or an commit was refused since there are several
> source files that were not added.
> If you used import; the idea of an import is that the adding is implicit;
> so I don't have to do each manually...

Actually NO. The idea of an import, is to bring all the desired files
into arch, without creating a delta. It's -not- a shortcut to setting
the appropriate settings for your project, nor for selecting (via the
{arch}/=tagging-method file, followed by tla add or taglines) the source
to be revision controlled. Typically that is something that takes a bit
of care: and new users find it hard. There is no always-right default,
and thats why it's in the tutorial. That said, starting with arch on a
project where that has already been done makes it easy to learn the
tool. I'm sure there are folk here that'd be happy to help you setup a
good tagging-method file.

> So I moved to to using names tagging-method and imported that.
> Something that brings me in problems later since now I have to do a clean
> to remove auto-generated source files, since tla refuses to commit with
> them present..

You've skipped over the fundamentals involved in bringing a new project
into arch, and thats precisely why you are having a hard time.

> - the normal commands are way too long, non-intuitive and basically suck.
> I want to check if someone else make changes.
>     cvs up
>     tla update --in-place .

Although you've been given the shorter hand version, there is a better
command:
tla whats-missing [version]
i.e.:
tla whats-missing
  tells you what has been commited to this version but not merged into
your checked out project tree.
tla whats-missing address@hidden/project--branch--version
  tells you what patches in john's work are not present in your project
tree.

Oh, and there is a GTK GUI which may interest you - tlator I think is
the name.

Rob