Re: [Gnu-arch-users] more recent changes in address@hidden/tla--mainline

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] more recent changes in address@hidden/tla--mainline--1.1
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:23:23 +0200

Colin Walters wrote:

> When I first started using arch I felt that the inventory was rather
> suffocating.  I have come to appreciate more a bit the reasoning behind
> it, but I still don't think the defaults are at all suitable for most
> people.  Getting their regexps right is still the biggest stumbling
> block for people to switch to using tla, even with the untagged-source
> directive.

I agree.  Today, I imported GNuPG, and apparently it was the first
project which I built with in-tree object files.  It took me quite a
while to get the regexps right.

> tla right now is very powerful, but it's kind of a big bite to swallow.
> I'd like to make it a smaller bite at first, but once they've
> bitten...then we can reel them in and speak to them of the virtues of
> strict tagging-methods, and convince them that things like separate
> build directories are a good idea.

I think you are on the right track.  Once there is a build system which
uses separate directories, changing the tla =tagging-method file is
easy.  The new users don't lose anything if they start without cleanly
separated builds.