Re: [Gnu-arch-users] stamping files with revision id's.

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] stamping files with revision id's.
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:03:53 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> The timing is sensitive though:
> I need to know the revision number that is being assigned in the
> repository in order to updated the files that have changed. And if I
> error, the revision number needs to be released and the commit aborted.
>
> I'm not sure what to call a hook with this timing property.

I guess you need two hooks, a pre-commit hook and a hook which runs when
a commit is aborted so that you can roll back your changes.

In almost all cases, your approach will add spurious conflicts if you
merge from several branches where this feature is used.  Maybe you can
use something else to construct the data you need?