Re: [Gnu-arch-users] stamping files with revision id's.

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] stamping files with revision id's.
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:15:42 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> There are alternatives: =REVISION-ID in configs for instance. The useful
> thing about inline revision details is that you can compile them into
> runtime debug output.

Aegis solves this by calling a hook when the repository changes.

For tla, we could add a file which contain the timestamp of the latest
commit and its name to the {arch} directory.  Your makefile would
generate some source file based on that, and you could link it into your
application.

A similar trigger file for repository changes would be a nice thing to
have, too.

> Anyway, I'm not claiming to have though all the issues through: I've
> seen many folk ask for this, and the back of my head came up with what I
> sketched out..

In-file revision IDs have been removed from the GCC tree due to constant
breakage in merges.